Try this simple, meat free, Mexican Pizza with Avocado Topping either as an appetiser to share or a main meal. It is full of nutritional healthy fats, complex carbs and healthy veggies good for our joints, skin and brain to function well.
Mixed with 2 handfuls of tossed green salad it becomes a complete meal and very tasty.
This great recipe is wonderful during the football season, everyone loves a pizza from the men to children not realising this Mexican Pizza with Avocado Topping is healthy for them. It gives the cook lots of browny points from everyone who consumes it. If there happens to be some pizza leftover you can freeze it ready for your work lunch break during the week.
Mexican Pizza with Avocado Topping
Makes 2 pizzas/12 slices
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 425g can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 35g Taco seasoning (salt reduced if possible)
- 2 x 400g cans of borlotti beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 fresh pizza bases
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for five minutes
- Add capsicum, tomato and Mexican seasoning. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and stir in borlotti beans
- Spread mixture on two of the pizza bases, top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 mins
- Whilst pizza is cooking, combine roughly mashed avocado and lemon juice. Serve pizza topped with avocado sauce.
From Sanitarium, Nourish your body, mind heart and soul cookbook
Combine with a sweat treat of Blueberry Ginger Chia Pudding
If you are interested to learn more about Why should you care about nutrition, check out this blog